August 7, 2009

Dresses...

A moment to share...perhaps...
a bit nervous...just because this is out of my comfort zone to share personal things about me...so here we go...

I different sort of post today...I have been wanting to do this post for quite some time...just a topic and my personal thoughts...and me sharing a bit about me...but just never knew exactly how to do it...but after talking with my friend Julie about this...I was saying..."No, way...really...you too!?!?!?!" I told her I definitely had to do this post now!
At the beginning of this year...I didn't make a resolution...I honestly never do...it's not because I don't keep them...I just never want to wait to start things for the beginning of the year...I am just the type that normally likes to "Just do it!" if it is something I want.

Everyday I just "try" to work on things...notice "try" because I am never perfect...I don't like start dates like January 1st...I like start dates the "next day"...I just think once I want to do something...work on something...or want to change something...I want to start then typically...
BUT...this year...sometime towards the beginning of the year I "kinda did...yah...sorta...made one" ...

I think I will start wearing more dresses...I told myself....

For me...that's a BIG deal...

You see I love my jeans...and shorts during the summer because I definitely inherited the "sweating" gene from my father...and for those that know me the longest...I was a tomboy...a simple girl growing up...SO...my goal isn't to change myself...but just add a little bit...because I want to...for for fun...So this picture is just for fun...I have never taken one just with me in it...that is why my business cards aren't the best...I love my family and just want pics with them...not by myself...remember don't look too close...because I don't iron...but I felt as though I had to bring jeans into somehow...and I didn't want to just surf the internet scanning pictures...I wanted it real life...
I see it as something fun...a challenge you may say...to myself...challenges I can do...because I am NOT a great accessorizer, shoe picker outer...etc....but I wanted to have some fun when doing this post...

As for my husband...he really doesn't care either way...at least I don't think...and he still loves me...he actually doesn't quite know I even decided this...I wasn't keeping it from him...but just something I wanted to do by myself...without announcing it (I guess until now). It is sorta-fun...and a challenge for sure...because I am learning...by myself...how to do this. Some who recently know me...may wonder "what?" I didn't know anything other...part of what I do in business does deal with the "girlie" side...how ironic and funny is that ...especially to my family they have told me...I promise in a nice and fun way they joke with me...they just laugh...

But I will share a bit with you...my transition to wear more dresses...slowly but surely it is nice to be a bit more girly in a way (I know some of you are thinking you don't need a dress to be girly...but I hope you get my point...because for me it is:)...and I wanted to do something different and fun and learn how to pick them out...

So when Julie visited...she said the same thing to me...before I said anything...I just about died...not really...but my jaw dropped for sure...and a bit of relief that I wasn't doing something ridiculous...don't get me wrong...I like to think I am decent when it comes to attire for work engagements...well except for wrinkles in my clothes (we all know that is NOT my best thing ironing and laundry)...the sad thing is...Bobby isn't either...I always tell him you obviously didn't marry me because I do laundry, ironing, and folding clothes for SURE...and he has the exact same response to me...the one thing we BOTH are bad at...so we just laugh:)

So here we go...I wanted to share...some I have worn...I even have made little commitment to not add any clothes but dresses to my closet unless it is to replace a necessity...don't get me wrong...on a daily basis I love to pick out jeans...khaki type shorts...capris sometimes...LOVE my pajamas too...I will always be that way and don't want to change it...but just want to expand my thinking about my clothes above pants...dress paints... shorts... jeans...etc.

So here are a few I have worn...

One of my new fav's...I just like the cut...it's comforting:)
More cute than anything...because I wear black tights with it
A fun one...because depending on my mood...with or without the little sweater...maybe the most comfortable one I have...simple cotton...
One I especially got for my conference back in April...nice to be a little dressy with my husband
Some fun fall ones...I'll have to find brown boots for this...
I do have black boots I like to wear this one with...
What I have learned....

I may have kind of a girlie side tucked in me the entire time...

I want to share more on this blog than just about my beautiful family...real life things on my mind...I'll try...my thoughts typically aren't that interesting...

I need to expand my wardrobe beyond my color comfort zones such as brown...black...gray....however...you did see I had a pink one...the red one~ that was a big step....

Dresses are cooler to wear in hot weather...
...and actually pretty comfortable too...
...and did I even mention skirts...just kidding...I just have one I like to wear...

Blessings from me today to you! Happy Dress Shopping!

7 comments:

Amanda Bruss said...

Yay!!! I so enjoyed reading this!!! Not tha ti don't love to read about the girsl but to learn something new about you!! Oh and next time your over i will let you sift through by dresses, I don't wear them anymore, (that and they are to small for me!!) It would be an honor to add to your collection!!!

Molly said...

Martha - I told my self the VERY same thing this year! I think I decided it while I was pregnant...that I should probably take some active steps toward being more girly if I'm going to live in a house with two boys. And I love that you shared it. Todd just looks at me funny when I tell him I'm wanting to wear more skirts & dresses. I also told myself I would only wear t-shirts if I am working out or working in the yard or something; otherwise I must wear a shirt that has actual style. Accessories may come next year...or in three years. Who knows! Keep me posted on how you're doing - you have excellent taste for having just started this! I'm still not brave enough to wear boots.

Kasey said...

it's so hard to get out of jeans i tell ya!
the next best thing....wear your new dresses over your jeans. better yet....roll your jeans up and wear with some boots.
love your dresses!

Laurie said...

I don't own a dress- how sad is THAT? Just looking at your dresses (which are all adorable by the way) made me want to change that! :)

Julie said...

i'm so glad you did a post on the dresses! i think it's so funny and neat that we aren't the only ones who made the same resolution and it looks like you may have convinced others to start wearing dresses, too :o).

a few things came to mind when i read your post:

1. that sunday i got back in town, i ordered two dresses online that night...haha.

2. i had to laugh when i was reading this b/c it was like you were reading my mind!

3. i love love the sweater dress for fall!! i've been looking for that style dress. where did you find it?

4. i think i can safely say that all of your blog readers love when you share things about yourself!

have a wonderful week!

Unknown said...

I know how hard it can be to step out of your comfort zone but I am very proud of you for doing this new thing and for posting something about yourself. I know how hard that is for you but I love that you did. And I love it when you wear dresses too. You look amazing in that picture. Just wanted to say that.
I love you

Angela Harris said...

Hey Martha! Thanks for sharing this with us! I think sharing a secret of sorts and going out of your comfort zone makes blog readers want to come back and feel connected to you. I certainly understand. When I was realizing life could be fun. I started taking care of myself and I wore dresses all the time. I still do but I wear big giant tents to cover everything! Haha! My goal is to be in one of these sweater dresses and boots by winter :)
You have great style! Love all the outfits!